ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST – MONCHES HISTORY
The first Catholic settlers came to Monches in September 0f 1842. By November of that year, Fr. Martin Kundig held Mass in William McGrath’s home. A year later, the congregation of St. John was established and a log church completed, which served until 1855 when a wood frame church was built.
In 1917, while the Rev. Wm. Mahoney was the pastor, construction of the new church was begun. The stone was brought in from Lannon and styled in the English gothic tradition with a stone tower and copper spire. It features seating for three hundred, a beautiful sanctuary with a high altar and two side altars, delicately colored stained glass windows and a well-designed gallery for the choir.
In April 1920, the church was consecrated by Archbishop Messmer with 43 visiting clergy
St. John has shared a long history with St. Columba in Lake Five, Washington County (now merged with St. Hubert, Hubertus and St. Mary, Richfield to become St. Gabriel). In 1993 they celebrated 150 years of shared faith.
ST. CLARE – NORTH LAKE HISTORY
St. Clare Congregation was incorporated in North Lake, Wisconsin, in July of 1916 as a part of the Archdiocese of Milwaukee. The first Masses were held in the hall above the hardware and grocery store in North Lake.
On October 3, 1917, Father Louis N. Zirbes and the parishioners broke ground for the new church, designed by well-known architect and parishioner, Alexander C. Eschweiler. The church was built in the Tudor Gothic style, with Lannon quarry stone laid in a random rubble pattern. The church was formally dedicated with a high Mass by Archbishop Messmer on April 30, 1919. The congregation numbered 35 families at that time.
In 1941, an addition was added to the church to bring the seating capacity up to 250. The membership in 1941 was 104 families.
On June 25, 2006, a new chapter began in our journey as St. John and St. Clare merged to form Blessed Teresa of Calcutta Parish. In September 2016, the name was changed to St. Teresa of Calcutta reflecting the Canonization of Mother Teresa.
In 2015 the parish undertook a capital campaign, Growing With God, to raise the $1.8M needed to expand the North Lake worship space to include additional seating, a welcoming gathering space, and accessible, first-floor restrooms. The generosity of parishioners made it possible to build the $1.8M expansion without encountering debt. Work began following the Easter Mass in 2016; the majority of the work was completed in time for the first celebration of Mass in the expanded space on Christmas Eve, 2016.